Sunday 6 April 2008

3R - Focus on Reduce...

I try to reduce the use of plastic bags when I go shopping. Please note the word 'reduce'. At present, perhaps it's not possible (yet) to totally not use plastic bags due to various factors.

So, what are the alternatives?

Cloth/Eco bags and baskets. *wink* I remember when I was small, Mom used to bring baskets to the market or tamu (we can still do so now..). When my parents did groceries, the things were placed in big boxes. These days, we don't really get those boxes when we go to supermarkets, do we? Instead, we get loads of plastic bags, even for the small stuff the cashiers will put in small plastic bags too. My cousin shared her experience buying an eco-bag in one of the big supermarkets. When she paid for the bag and other stuff, she told the cashier she wanted to put her groceries into the eco-bag but the cashier insisted to put the eco-bag in a plastic bag!! Hello??? The staff need environmental awareness! (May be the supermarket management should hire me for that! LOL)

When possible, plastic bags should be reused as storage bags or garbage bags, or recycled. I still feel that we all must try to use heavy duty multiple use bags (such as the cloth/eco bags) often. One of the problems faced in most places is indiscrimate throwing of used bags. Oh so unsightly!

Here are some of the bags I use for shopping. *grin* Need to get more lah.. (There are times I don't have enough to put my groceries so I have to use the plastic bags from the supermarket too. Anyway, I reuse them as storage or garbage bags. Ok also, huh?) When I shop for clothes or shoes, I usually keep those trendy paper or plastic bags so I can use 'em to keep pressies when I attend birthday parties. *grin*



During the Seminar on Environmental Education for Practitioners in Sandakan last year, we gave out this cool eco-bag for the participants. I love it!!

See, you can even fold it like this:

So, what do you think?

Go get the eco-bags lah ok? *wink*




6 comments:

Dina said...

that's a cool eco bag...the one you can fold up!

jppmom said...

ahhh one of the bag i know...heheehe d SDC bag..tat bags makes my life upside down for a while..hahahaha

Anonymous said...

hi dina!!! ya I love it too!!

hello jppmom! you were involved in the preparation ka for SDC? hehe soooo many people turned up during the launching oh! millions kali budget tu kan (o:

bZbee said...

hi ya..i try to recycle too...sometimes i fold the same plastic bag that i used from the same supermarket...i feel so guilty if i carry to many bags....and most of th etime..i'll jusy ask for 1 big bag for all my shopping spree..unless...buy ikan la...how ah??we are not like in oz or usa..they pack the fish so nicely..:P

Anonymous said...

hi miranda! ya bah, if ikan, terpaksa lah guna plastic kan.. ok bah tu... as long as we reduce plastic use (o:

Anonymous said...

Hi Susan,

Can I have one of those bag that has "Sabah" printed on it with the logo and so on ;-) hehehe.

I thought, it would be a good publicity stunt for our home state Sabah, over here in Oregon. We are big on Environment issue over here too.

Keep up the good work!